Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pick'n Picks

                        There is a myriad of picks out there with different shapes and materials.  
                        While my pick choices change as I try new things I am just going to mention 
                        what I am using now and what I am gravitating to.  For fingerstyle guitar I 
                        usually play with no picks at all but to achieve better sound I have incorporated 
                        some very interesting Fred Kelley picks.  I use the Fred Kelley speed pick for my 
                        thumb usually using their light guage.  (I started using this thanks to seeing 
                        Doyle Dykes)
                                       
                   For my other fingers while playing fingerstyle I am using Fred Kelly’s Freedom 
                         Finger Picks.  These picks are the closest to real fingernails that I have found and 
                         are very comfortable and easy to play with.  I would suggest getting a size up as 
                         they seem to run small.  I also tend to turn them slightly on my finger to straighten 
                         out the strike of the pick.   These come in delrin (below) and poly.  The poly is clear 
                         which is nice but I think the sound from the delrin is better.
                                              
                   For standard strumming and flatpicking I used to use a very light pick but as I play 
                   and read I am moving to thicker picks.  Generally I will use a Dunlop Tortex in 
                   medium thickness but my next pick will be the Dunlop Delrin in .96mm (red one 
                   below).  Many players are now using Michael Wegen’s picks (Bryan Sutton often 
                   uses his 1.4mm bluegrass pick) these picks look and have reviewed great but they 
                   are pricey (a link is to the right).  If you haven’t experimented lately with new picks go 
                   give a few new ones a try; you may be surprised with the different tone you can achieve. 

         


        Song to listen to – "How Great Thou Art" Vince Gill and Amy Grant

        Song to learn -  tab for “How Great Thou Art” Vince Gill and Amy Grant
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment