Monday, September 27, 2010

Doyle Dykes




           Many may not have heard of this great fingerstyle guitarist.   
           The first time I heard “Jazz in the Box” I knew I had to find out 
           who this guy was.   His music has pushed me to become a better 
           guitarist and despite many of his music being difficult to learn I
           am playing things that when I heard them I never thought I would.  
           I have seen him in person and his playing was so on point, perfect.  





            Doyle is an endorser and clinician for Taylor Guitars and has his 
            own signature model the DDSM.  He plays in a huge variety of styles 
            and I would suggest listening to these songs to hear his range: “Jazz 
            in the box”, “Martha’s Kitchen”, “How Great Thou Art”, and “White 
            Rose for Heidi”.  His daughter, Haley Dykes, often travels with him and 
            is also a great musician and singer, her CD “The Mystery of Her” won’t 
            disappoint.  I own, and love, his book “virtuoso fingerstyle guitar” and 
            have been challenged by learning  just some of the songs in it, the book 
            also comes with a CD of the music (it's in the amazon box to the right).  
            I will put a link at the bottom of the post to both hear and learn “Jazz in 
            the Box”.




           Great DVD to check out with Doyle on it, he plays with some
           greats like Duane Eddy and Tommy Emmanuel -
                                           Live Sessions – people, places, and pick’n

           Some of Doyle’s CD’s to check out – Songs of Faith+Freedom, Chameleon


                     Song to Listen to – "Jazz in the Box" (this is not Doyle playing it)

                     Song to Learn -  Jazz in the Box tab



No comments:

Post a Comment